Monday, April 8, 2013

Windows Intune: IOS Application (.ipa & .plist)

I saw a lot of people having difficulty to upload and deploy the IOS application in the forum and internet. I manage to upload the IOS application to the WIndows Intune Portal, and also manage to download and install the uploaded IOS application to the IPad from the Comapny Portal. Unfortunately, those applications are not functioning properly (scratching my head!!!)

Before we begin, plist editor is required. If you don’t have any, you can download this freeware at here.

Below is a sample .plist, you can copy and paste it into notepad then save as .plist format. Modification is required!!!

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>items</key>
    <array>
        <dict>
            <key>assets</key>
            <array>
                <dict>
                    <key>kind</key>
                    <string>software-package</string>
                    <key>url</key>
                    <string>http://www.bitart.com/WirelessAdHocDemo/WirelessAdHocDemo.ipa</string>
                </dict>
            </array>
            <key>metadata</key>
            <dict>
                <key>bundle-identifier</key>
                <string>com.microsoft.lync2010.iphone</string>
                <key>bundle-version</key>
                <string>1.2</string>
                <key>kind</key>
                <string>software</string>
                <key>title</key>
                <string>Lync 2010</string>
            </dict>
        </dict>
    </array>
</dict>
</plist>

Now, we need to grab some important information from the .ipa file. I’m taking Lync 2010 1.2.ipa as example.

  1. We can rename and convert the .ipa format to .zip format in order for us to grab the information.
  2. Extract the .zip file that you converted from .ipa format
  3. Using the Plist Editor, browse into the extracted folder and look for info.plist
  4. There are some key information needed for the .plist above, look for bundle-identifier, bundle-version, CFBundleDisplayName
  5. For my case, I’m using the Lync 2010 1.2.ipa as example. Therefore, the bundle-identifier is com.microsoft.lync2010.iphone, the bundle-version is 1.2, and the title is Lync 2010 (the CFBundleDisplayName)

Now you should be able to upload the IOS application to the Windows Intune Portal and also download and install it from the company portal. However, the application is not functioning for my case. I’m still figuring out why… Stay tuned!!!

4 comments:

  1. How is this project going for you? With your plist framework I was able to get my SonicWALL mobile connect app uploaded. It installs fine, but when i launch the app it asks me for an apple ID. I put in my own, and it crashes. I believe it may be looking for the original ID which downloaded it? Im going to mess with the plist file and see if I cant inject the ID in. Please let me know your thoughts if you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept working after this reply and reached a resolution quickly. A couple of notes to add to your already thorough article:

      After..



      I added:

      appleId
      %YOUR APPLE ID%

      I also uploaded my ipa file to my web server and replaced:

      url
      http://www.bitart.com/WirelessAdHocDemo/WirelessAdHocDemo.ipa

      With the link to my app instead.

      You dont need a special editor for the ipa or plist files.

      I used 7zip and just extracted the ipa file like any other bundled archive.

      I then made all my edits with notepad and just renamed file extensions after the fact.

      Thank you for the guidance. I hope someone finds these foot notes useful.

      Delete
    2. Hi Matthew,

      After you added the appleId to the plist, can the app successfully install and successfully launch?

      Delete
  2. Thanks a lot for sharing about Windows Intune, it's a great post.
    crack software downloads

    ReplyDelete