Gotcha!!! If you are like me, missed the prerequisites KB 3095113 of WSUS to support Windows 10 Upgrade/Servicing on your SCCM WSUS server, and you have already sync-ed and downloaded the Upgrade in your SCCM.
If you are having certificate error while downloading the upgrade with SCCM 1511, please look at this hotfix, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3127032.
If your download is always showing 0% while downloading the Upgrade, no fear, check the Ethernet status in the Task Manage Performance tab or you can monitor the status in patchdownloader.log located in %temp% with cmtrace.
Back to the topic, I’ve already sync-ed and downloaded the “Upgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise, version 1511, 10586 - en-us, Volume” and “Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, version 1511, 10586 - en-us, Volume” in the SCCM 1511 and then manually deploy it to my Windows 10 Collection.
My Windows 10 client received and downloaded the Upgrade in C:\ccmcache but failed to install with error code 0x8007007E.
I’ve tried a lot of troubleshooting and find out that I’m actually missing a very important update for the WSUS to support Windows 10 Feature Update, KB 3095113. This doesn’t work so smooth by just applying the update. Below is the steps I taken to fix the issue.
On my SCCM Server:
- Install the prerequisites of the KB 3095113. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2919442 followed by https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2919355
- Install KB 3095113
- Uninstall SCCM SUP
- Uninstall WSUS Server role
- Delete WSUS DB, and D:\WSUS
- Reboot OS
- Reinstall WSUS Server Role
- Install SCCM SUP
- Manual trigger Sync Software Update
On my test client:
- Stopped the services below
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop cryptSvc
- net stop bits
- net stop msiserver
- Delete C:\Windows\Software Distribution
- Delete C:\Windows\System32\catroot2
- Delete the folder contain the .esd downloaded in ccmcache folder
- Delete C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources
- Reboot the OS
- Trigger the upgrade from Software Center
I tried not to uninstall the WSUS and SUP after installed the updates in the SCCM server, but it doesn’t works, I’m still getting the same error code 0x8007007E.
Note: I’m performing this in my lab environment, use this fix at you own risk